Friday, February 12, 2010

Tuesday's Treat!

Ok so some of you may have heard of the adventure in the Hoffman house on Tuesday.  I was not here (very happy about that) during the real event but I get to participate in the remainder.
 What am I referring to you ask? 

Why the breaking and entering, buglary, ya know that kind of adventure!

I was only gone about 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I assume they were watching when I left and saw their chance.  Little did they realize that our house was the best one on the street to break into.  After all our 10yr old 26" TV is really a good find.  Not to mention the case of beans and maybe oatmeal from our storage.
Ok joking aside we really don't have much to take to take that the pawn shops are interested in.  Well obviously they didn't know us very well (that is comforting).
I let B. go into the house before me (don't the older kids always make it in first while Mom gathers everything up to take into the house).  W. was "coming in" very slowly so I ran in quickly set my stuff down, listened to the message we had and went back out to get him.  W and I went to the mailbox (just a couple houses down the street) and came in. Then it went something like this:
I looked at B. shooting hoops out on the patio and noticed a screen out on the patio.
"Odd.  Why did the kids do that?"
I saw a window was open.
"It had to have been J or J as B isn't strong enough to open it"  
"Hey that means it was this morning when it was cold and the heater was on"
"Grrrr"
I close the window and see that the "locks" are still in the "locked" position.
"huh?"
"Screen on patio, window open, broken locks...."
I start really looking around.
I see the sliding glass door frame is pulling away from the wall as if someone had tried to pry it open.
I look and see if our computer is still where I left it. It is!
"we couldn't have been robbed, our computer is still here...."
"Yes! You have been robbed.  Hello, the window was open, broken, and the sliding glass door has been tampered with...."
I look at the front door (which we never use) and it is open slightly.
"Oh gee! B., W. come out side with me please!  Don't touch anything!"
I called the police and the rest is history.
They were quite sloppy and they definitely missed some things (aka computer!) but it still is a pain.  Our biggest concern is they took our camera and now I don't have pictures to add to my blog!  Priorities here!
Just kidding!  Really our concern is the data they took, in the form of an old laptop (broken but data is still accessible) and a portable hard drive with a copy of all our files on it as backup.  And then it was pretty hard on the kids to have there "life savings" gone as well as J doesn't have his Ipod Nano that he just got for his birthday.  Grrr!

There are two very funny or rather ironic parts to the story.  We had 2 laptops (one worked the other didn't) and 2 Ipod shuffles (one worked and the other didn't).  They took 2 laptop and 1 shuffle.  They took the 2 that didn't work!  Hee hee hee!  That helped me laugh about it which helps a lot!

We are grateful that no one was home.  No one was hurt and that the house wasn't very damaged. We feel very blessed in the whole thing and that we still have our computer so Marty can still job hunt!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

oh I am so sorry. That is so awful. :(
Glad you are all ok and that you seem to be handling it fairly well.